One of the basic tools everyone can use to save extra cash is the use of coupons. Coupons are very simple to use, the only thing is finding them and collecting them can be time consuming. This is the major reason many people ignore the practicality of using them and they pay full price of whatever they buy. We could cut costs substantially if we are able to set aside weekly to look for coupons. Coupons can easily become part of your weekly routine with a little attitude of diligence and organization. You will be motivated to continue searching for coupons after reaping its benefits for a couple of weeks.
You will need some things to make the process of searching for coupons a bit easier and organized when you begin:
- A printer or access to a printer for online coupons
- A computer or access to a computer
- A binder or folder to store your coupons (dividers/labels if you want to be extra organized)
- Store flyers
- Local newspapers
Set Aside Time
Making a commitment of spending 1-2 hours weekly in order to find and organize your coupons is really worth it. This is a small price to pay for the amount of money you can save in the long run. You can break this up in to a few minutes daily or get it all done at once depending on your schedule.
Search for Coupons
Decide where you are going to search for coupons. Depending on your location, coupons can be found in a variety of places including, local newspapers, store flyers, coupons websites, coupon apps and store bulletin boards. You may also join social media groups devoted to finding the best coupons in your area.
Organize Your Coupons
Once you have collected your coupons, place the ones that expire first in the front of your binder/folder. Depending on how many coupons you have collected, separate tabs can come in handy to organize by item type. This can help you easily locate the coupons you need in the store. Before you go shopping, be sure to check out which coupons you have clipped and in the case of groceries, try to base your meals on these discounted items.
Super Saver Tips
You must fully understand your coupons so as to be able to make the best use of them. You will be able to get the most bang for your buck and can even result in paying nothing with these tips. They can aso help you in receiving cash back or even being credited due to the coupon exceeding the cost of the product.
- Many coupons can be combined! Often times you can combine a manufacturer coupon and a store coupon together and double your savings.
- Use coupons on items that are already discounted. This may result in overage and you could walk away with money in your pocket.
- Combine price matching and your coupons. Many stores have price matching policies, meaning they will sell the product at a lower price if another store is selling it for less. Use your coupon after getting the lower price and you’ve got yourself a bargain.
- Avoid using coupons you don’t need. It may be tempting to buy something just because you have the coupon but limit yourself to only buying what you need.
- If you have a coupon for a product you already have but use the product often (toothpaste, shampoo, canned goods) don’t be afraid to stock up. It’s better to purchase the product when you have coupons rather than wait until you need it and pay full price.
- For products you’re very fond of, trying writing to the manufacturer and let them know how much you enjoy their product. Typically, companies will show their appreciation by sending coupons.
- Know the terms and conditions of the coupon before handing to the sales clerk. This will help you save time by being prepared and not hold up the line of customers behind you.
- The internet is an amazing place to find discounts and deals. There are many sites devoted to cashback deals and promotion codes. Do a quick search to find the most popular ones?
- Sign up for newsletters with your favorite brand. Often times, companies provide individuals with incent to sign up for newsletters, including exclusive coupons and freebies. Become a member and enjoy the benefits.
These are some of the crucial coupon tools and tips for beginners that will help you save your hard earned bucks. The long term benefits of couponing may surprise you as your savings will really add up over time. Have fun on your couponing adventure and enjoy your savings.