Free Government Grants to help you Pay for Utility Bills Free Government Grants to help you Pay for Utility Bills
Free Government Grants to help you Pay for Utility Bills Utilities such as electricity, heat, hot water and gas are essentials for our daily... Free Government Grants to help you Pay for Utility Bills

Free Government Grants to help you Pay for Utility Bills

Utilities such as electricity, heat, hot water and gas are essentials for our daily living. There would not be possibilities of seeing the sun go down, take hot showers, store food, prepare meals and stay warm when the temperature drops without the availability of these utilities. It doesn’t seem the utility companies care much about the importance of the services they offer. There seems to be a daily rise in the cost of this electricity and every other power source.

High Utility Bills Cost

Virtually every other essential in the US has made it increasingly difficult for the average person to keep their power on with the increasing cost of utilities. The high cost of utility bills is difficult for people who are working full-time jobs to afford. These important services are however not available to people who are having mediocre jobs or are unemployed for one reason or the other. If you are one of the people having issues with paying utility bills, the good news for you may be able to find the financial assistance you need in order to keep your power on and this can be made possible with utility grants.

What are Utility Grants?

Funds set aside by the federal government, state governments, non-profit organizations and other entities to provide assistance to those who are in need is regarded as grants. Funds that are specifically reserved to help those who are struggling to pay their power bills are known as utility grants. 

Grants in form of financial relief or other assistance programs that can be used to help cover the cost of electricity, oil, gas and other utility payments are given by the federal government and the local state agencies. 

How to Get Assistance for Your Utility Bills

The first thing you should do is to contact your utility provider if you are having a hard time making ends meet and you are unable to keep up with the cost of your power bills. Several utility services work directly with government agencies to assist with the implementation of programs that are designed to help low-income individuals and their families by paying their bills. When your bills have started piling up and you are unable to pay them, reach out to your provider to avoid having your power shut off.

How to make it Easier?

Utility companies generally will work with you in order to set up a payment plan. An example is they may divide your bill over a 12 month period. This is to split it in to an equal amount over the course of a year. This will help you to know the precise amount you will owe every month. You will be able to allocate funds accordingly this way. You can also reach out to the US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUG) which is a government program that provides financial assistance for utility payments as an addition. 

Emergency Help for Overdue Utility Payments

Programs that can assist low-income earners with paying for the essential items that they need such as food, clothing and housing are offered by the federal government. Assistance for utility bills is added to it. Essentials such as power are offered by several non-profit organizations and other community programs that provide financial assistance.

These agencies are dedicated to providing emergency support to those who are struggling financially and cannot afford to pay for the basics, such as electricity, oil, and gas. Help is offered in the form of monetary grants, which are awarded on an income basis. As long as the funds are available to provide help and you can demonstrate that you need assistance, you can receive free money to help you cover a part of your utility bills so that your power will remain or, if your power has been turned off, so that it can be restored.

When can I apply?

You many need to work with more than one organization that provides financial assistance to get the full amount owed if you need help covering the cost of your entire past-due bills. You should however, be conscious of the fact that funds may not be always available to you.

This is especially true during certain times of the year, such as the winter, when many people, like you, are also struggling to pay their power bills and is also in need of assistance; during these times, funding may run out. Furthermore, you have to prove that you are eligible for assistance.

The Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

A grant program that offers low-income individuals and their families with assistance for their utility payments is LIHEAP. Applicants that are qualified reap the benefit of this grant one time and the funding is directed toward power bills strictly. 

Your annual income must be a certain percentage below the federal poverty level in order to qualify for the grant. Funds approved through this program are given out in form of checks. They are usually sent out in the first week of the New Year to the applicants that qualified for it. With this grant funding, if you have outstanding utility bills, you may be able to pay off the balance so that you can start the beginning of the year with a clean slate.

Home Weatherization Grants

Homeowners who need to make repairs to their properties can always go with the home repair grants to help them fund their needs. Funding to improve the safety and energy efficiency of a property is sponsored by the federal government. Home Weatherization grants can be used to repair:

  • Damaged roofing
  • Mold remediation
  • Septic tank repairs
  • Insulation replacement
  • Furnace repairs and replacements

Those who are receiving federal assistance, such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) are automatically eligible for the Home Weatherization Grant. If you aren’t receiving other forms of assistance and you want to find out if you qualify, contact the government to learn more.


For safety and well-being, power is very important. Keeping the power alive is however, difficult for most Americans. Options above are available to you if you are one of the people finding it difficult to pay utility bills. 


  • Sam Coleman

    July 20, 2019 #1 Author




      August 2, 2019 #2 Author

      4 months behind in rent 625 4 car payment 402.20. 60 power. 200 cable.


  • Patricia B Sharp

    July 20, 2019 #3 Author

    Please help. I have Tinnitus and have difficulty concentrating for any length time. Because of this I am asking is there anyone who can help me write a grant?? Am in a serious financial crisis. I am 76 years old and have to work to subsidize my social security because of an ex-husband who stole all my money and lives out of the country.
    I broke my pelvic bone and was unable to work for a month which put me behind on my house payment, utility bills, credit card, food and phone. I have a Habit for Humanity home built in 2017. The balance of the mortgage is approximately $14,000 which if I could get a grant to pay that off and get current on my bills it would be heaven-sent. I also have serious dental problems ie: unable to chew and toothaches. Thanking you in advance


    • Rhonda

      July 21, 2019 #4 Author

      Please help..i am a mother of 3. One of which is 17 and pregnant and a 11 year old. I am out of work and not successful of finding a job and i am facing an eviction. I have no where else to turn.


  • Shantee Long

    August 2, 2019 #5 Author

    I had brain surgery last year and am currently out of work I have to rely on my 19 year son to pay the bills recently my electric was cut off they said they need 4 pay stubs and we could only find 3 of the ones needd you know that they won’t help until I get it.


    • Jennifer Kousma

      August 15, 2019 #6 Author

      I am disabled I have cancer and am on SSI and signed up for the weatherization program and was told that I would have 60 days to fix a whole bunch of issues that there program grants are supposed to fix in people’s houses and if I didn’t fix them within the 60 days they would not help me. Well if I had the money to fix these issues I sure wouldn’t need their help now would I! I don’t have a working furnace and it’s so old that they don’t make any replacement parts for it anymore and hasn’t for many years now they told me that it is a brand that hasn’t been made since the 1940’s, my house needs insulation, my walls are the original walls made out of plaster with the wooden slats that hold the plaster in place, I need all new windows 2 of them are completely broken,one of my doors needs replacing, my roof leaks, and I don’t have central air! Now isn’t that what their program receives grants for? I heat my house with electric heaters and my electric bill during a month in the winter runs anywhere from $800 to over a $1,000 this is just from one person living here and my only income is from my SSI. My kids had to move out during the winter months because if they hadn’t then my electric bill would have been almost $2000 or more a month. I need help with fixing these problems and I have applied for every program or company that is supposed to help disabled people fix their houses so they can live in a safe environment and one that is energy efficient, but every one that I have applied to hasn’t helped me at all and I am scared because winter is fast approaching and I still don’t have a working furnace! I just need to find a program that will actually help with these issues that they are receiving grant money for!


  • Clarissa Brown

    August 7, 2019 #7 Author

    Please help me im a mother of 4 and im in need of 9000 dollars my car got repoed due to me losing my job because i was in and out of the hospital.my bills are due and kids expenses for clothes and shoes and school supplies are needed.


  • Elsa Sanchez

    August 11, 2019 #8 Author

    I need help I live with my niece with Down syndrome. I have high depression and anxiety. I am disabled. I have an over $5000 light bill and 600. Gas. I barely have enough to pay rent since my niece and I are disabled. I need to get out of at least my light and gas. I am overwhelmed and afraid.


  • Kris Wynn Howard

    August 11, 2019 #9 Author

    I am looking for help one time with rent and utility and car repairs for up coming winter.Had added expencies over summer and school things .Go back to work tomorrow but I will be paying catch up till Christmas.Dont know if you can gelp


  • Diana Brooks

    August 11, 2019 #10 Author

    I am a 69 yr.old woman. I was granted disability in February 2018 I have not received my money.i need to know how to file for my interim benefits.no one can help me. I am unable to work. I have medical bills.my rent has gone up. I need to move. hellllpppp!!!!!.


  • rachel s leija

    August 28, 2019 #11 Author

    hi my name is rachel im a separted mom of 2 livingt off of disibalty a total of 933 a month and 200in child support im about to the lights cut off on the 30th and i still dont know what im going to do for rent is there any assistance for me please help call me at 504-417-4170 thanks and god bless


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *